Zalaegerszeg became a town of lesser nobility during the first half of the 19th century, as represented by Mihály Egerszegi and his Boriska, both admirers of Ferenc Deák. At that time, nobles made up eight percent of the town’s nearly 4,000 inhabitants.
Some of them were descendants of the soldiers who had served in the former border fortress, while the majority had settled in the town only at the beginning of the century. Long-established families earned their living as guild craftsmen or by managing their estates, and most of Zalaegerszeg’s local leaders came from their ranks. The newcomers held various offices in the noble county administration or practiced intellectual professions tied to the town.
The Life of the Lesser Nobility in Egerszeg
They purchased or built their homes along the Main Street, known as Fehérképi Street. At the beginning of the century, these houses were mostly constructed of wood, but after the devastating fires of 1826, only brick buildings were permitted. Nearly all of them owned vineyards on the surrounding hills of the town.
At the beginning of the 19th century, literacy was still uncommon, but more ambitious families sent their children to grammar schools in nearby towns. Between 1800 and 1848, ten young noblemen from Zalaegerszeg graduated from the Law Academy of Győr. Opportunities for social life and cultural activities were provided by the Casino Society, founded in 1836.
By the 1840s, the political divisions within the county nobility had also spread to the town. The progressive faction, mockingly called the “Germans”, and the conservative faction, who referred to themselves as the “Hungarians”, engaged in fierce struggles during local elections and appointments.
Special Objects
Smizett
Smizett
One of the elegant pieces in our interior evoking a lady’s room is a cabinet that appears to have seven drawers, known as a smizett. In reality, it contains shelves and pull-out storage compartments designed for storing shirts and undergarments.
Each side is decorated with an exotic human head carving.
Pipes
Smoking was an integral part of the lifestyle of men during the Reform Era. This aspect of everyday life is illustrated in our exhibition through several fine pipes. It was believed that smoking stimulated the mind, protected against illness, and, as the saying went, “A pipe enjoys good company.”
Pipes were made from wood, root wood, and clay, but the most popular examples were carved from meerschaum. Skilled meerschaum carvers decorated some of them with mythological scenes, historical events, and national symbols. (Object description: Katalin Béres)
Weapons of the War of Independence
Among the weapons displayed in our showcase dedicated to the Hungarian War of Independence is a spear with a shaft painted in the national colours. It served as a weapon of the National Guards.

Jelačić’s Spear
Its owner used it during the invasion of Ban Josip Jelačić. After the defeat of the War of Independence, he hid it beneath the roof structure of his vineyard cellar, preserving a cherished memento while avoiding possible reprisals.
Flintlock Pistol
The cavalrymen of the War of Independence, the hussars, carried not only sabres but also pistols. The lead ball was loaded through the muzzle, and ignition was triggered by sparks produced by a flint built into the firing mechanism. For this reason, the weapon became known as a flintlock pistol. (Object description: Katalin Béres)
Our Curator’s Favourite: Enlarged Photograph Made from a Daguerreotype Depicting Zalaegerszeg’s Main Square
One of the true highlights of our exhibition is a photographic enlargement produced from an early photograph – a daguerreotype – that was discovered in a collection in France.

Market Day in Zalaegerszeg
This image, created around 1847 and considered one of the earliest known urban photographs in Hungary, depicts the centre of Zalaegerszeg on a market day.
The lively scene shows people dressed in contemporary clothing talking and bargaining, while their oxen and horses rest beside carts. Vendors offer their goods, unaware that they are being photographed.
The image also reveals details of two important buildings in Zalaegerszeg: the northern corner of the parish church and the former town hall. Clearly visible on the side of the latter is a shop sign reading “Pál Anisits General Store”, which played a decisive role in identifying the exact location where the photograph was taken.
The discovery of the daguerreotype attracted considerable public interest in our town. We were delighted that local supporters contributed donations that enabled us to acquire the usage rights to this image, which is so dear to our hearts. (Katalin Béres)

